During combustion of the nitrocellulose film, a significant amount of the toxic gases is released at the initial stage of the fire. This complicates the safe evacuation of film and photo storage personnel. The exact qualitative and quantitative composition of toxicants is unknown. Therefore, the assessment of the toxicity of combustion products of the above film is an urgent task.
The purpose of the study is to experimentally determine the specific formation coefficients and partial density of the most hazardous toxic gases released during nitrocellulose film combustion. Modernization of a small-sized experimental setup was conducted, which allows to estimate the phosgene concentration. The composition of the film combustion products was experimentally studied. Experimental methods were are used for measuring and processing the combustion parameters of substances and materials, as well as the methods for analyzing the results obtained.
During the experiments, the partial densities and specific formation coefficients of carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, phosgene, and nitrogen dioxide were obtained. Hydrogen cyanide and phosgene were found to be the most hazardous toxicants. The maximum weight is estimated related to the film placed in a room of a given volume, at which the partial densities of carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, phosgene and nitrogen dioxide do not reach the critical values for humans.
The results obtained will allow expanding the database of combustible load on the specific coefficients of formation of the above compounds, which is used in the calculation of fire risks in the storage of film and photographic documents. During combustion of the nitrocellulose film as the most hazardous combustible load in these rooms, it is necessary to consider the time of blocking escape routes by carbon monoxide, hydrogen cyanide, phosgene, and nitrogen dioxide.
1. 2008 Universal Studios fire. Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Universal_Studios_fire (accessed: December 14, 2022).
2. The tragedy in the village of Bussa, Ivanovsky district: on November 12, 1957, 65 people died in a fire at a film show. Available at: https://tomin.by/news/ob/21145-tragediya-v-derevne-bussa-ivanovskogo-rajona-12-noyabrya-1957-goda-pri-pozhare-na-kinoseanse-pogibli-65-chelovek (accessed: December 14, 2022). (In Russ.).
3. Levin B.C., Kuligowski E.D. Toxicology of fire and smoke. Inhalation Toxicology. 2005. Vol. 2. pp. 205–228. DOI: 10.1201/9781420037302.ch10
4. Kuzmin V.V., Puzach S.V., Akperov R.G., Boldrushkiev O.B., Vashchenkova Ya.Yu. Experimental determination of specific coefficient of nitrogen dioxide formation during nitrocellulose film combustion. Pozhary i chrezvychaynye situatsii: predotvrashchenie, likvidatsiya = Fire and Emergencies: Prevention, Elimination. 2022. № 3. pp. 5–13. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.25257/FE.2022.3.5-13
5. E Zo Tve. Regularities and mechanism of compositions сщcombustion based on nitrocellulose: thesis ... Doctor of Chemical Sciences. Moscow: RKhTU im. D.I. Mendeleeva, 2015. 51 p. (In Russ.).
6. Zhang S., Mi Y., Jin J., Zhang J. Research on Ignition Characteristics of Nitrocellulose in Warehouse. Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Fire Science and Fire Protection Engineering (ICFSFPE). Chengdu: IEEE, 2019. DOI: 10.1109/ICFSFPE48751.2019.9055813
7. Dauerman L., Tajima Y.A. Thermal decomposition and combustion of nitrocellulose. AIAA Journal. 1968. Vol. 6. № 8. pp. 1468–1473. DOI: 10.2514/3.4790
8. Luo L., Jin Bo, Xiao Y., Zhang Q., Chai Z., Huang Q., Chu S. Study on the isothermal decomposition kinetics and mechanism of nitrocellulose. Polymer Testing. 2019. Vol. 75. pp. 337–343. DOI: 10.1016/j.polymertesting.2019.02.024
9. Isaeva L.K. Fires and the environment. Ekaterinburg: Kalan, 2001. 222 p. (In Russ.).
10. Wei R., Huang S., Wang Z., Yuen R., Wang J. Evaluation of the critical safety temperature of nitrocellulose in different forms. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries. 2018. Vol. 56. pp. 289–299. DOI: 10.1016/j.jlp.2018.09.004
11. Yu H., Yaping H., Jiahao L., Pan L., Mingyi C., Ruichao W., Jiang W. Experimental study on the thermal decomposition andcombustion characteristics of nitrocellulose with different alcohol humectants. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2017. Vol. 340. pp. 202–212. DOI: 10.1016/j.jhazmat.2017.06.029
12. Koshmarov Yu.A. Forecasting fire hazards in a room: textbook. Moscow: Akademiya GPS MVD Rossii, 2000. 118 p. (In Russ.).
13. Puzach S.V., Suleykin E.V. New united theoretical and experimental approach to the calculation of the distribution of toxic gases in case of fire in the room. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 2016. Vol. 25. № 2. pp. 13–20. (In Russ.). DOI: 10.18322/PVB.2016.25.02.13-20
14. Puzach S.V., Boldrushkiev O.B. Defining the specific formation coefficient and the critical partial density of hydrogen cyanide and carbon monoxide at the fire indoors. Pozharovzryvobezopasnost = Fire and Explosion Safety. 2019. Vol. 28. № 5. pp. 19–26. (In Russ.).DOI: 10.18322/PVB.2019.28.05.19-26