V.S. Zaburdayev, Dr. Sci. (Eng.), Lead Researcher, firstname.lastname@example.org IPCON RAN, Moscow, Russia
Very-high categorical methane, outburst hazard related to category III mines and other mines hazardous on methane are 95 % of the total number of the underground coal mining facilities. 58 operating coal mines are referred to hazardous on gas and dust explosions. The main source of ignition of explosion hazardous mixtures is friction sparking during the operation of combines in tunneling and clearing faces. High level of injuries from gas and dust explosions in the underground work, conditioned mainly due to violations of production technologies and labor discipline, requires special approach, both of the organizational and technological nature to ensure safety of mining operations in especially difficult mining conditions of coal seam development. In such a case, it is required to consider the complexity of the geological and mining conditions of the underground mining, especially gas-bearing.
Among the main reasons of major accidents in the gas mines is inexpert conducting industrial safety expertise at the stage of new facilities commissioning, or when replacing the methods and means of gas release control at the excavation sites. For the period of 1985–2017 nearly 70 explosions of methane-dust-air mixtures of different level of severity occurred in the mines, including the loss of people life, destruction of mine workings and process equipment. In order to prevent similar accidents, it is required to significantly improve both the quality of industrial safety expertise and the professional qualifications of engineering and technical personnel and workers of the underground gas-bearing mines.
1. Tarazanov I.G. The results of the coal industry in Russia in January — December 2017. Ugol = Coal. 2018. № 3. pp. 58–73. DOI: 10.18796/0041-5790-2018-3-58-73. (In Russ.).
2. Annual Report on Activities of the Federal Environmental, Industrial and Nuclear Supervision Service of Russia in 2017. Available at: http://www.gosnadzor.ru/public/annual_reports/Годовой%20отчет%20Ростехнадзора%20за%20%202017%20г.%20(окончат).pdf (accessed: July 25, 2018). (In Russ.).
3. Novoselov S.V., Panihidnikov S.A. Injury rate in the coal industry of Russia and prediction of methane explosion risk in the hazardous production facility — working face of the extreme explosion category mine. Ugol = Coal. 2017. № 9. pp. 32–35. DOI: 10.18796/0041-5790-2017-9-32-35. (In Russ.).
4. Brabander S.P., Kosterenko V.N., Paleev D.Ju. Disadvantages of using combined ventilation method. Vestnik KuzGTU = Newsletter of KuzGTU. 2006. № 2 (53). pp. 9–12. (In Russ.).
5. Zaburdjaev V.S., Podobrazhin S.N. Estimation of the probability of methane-air mixtures explosions in the mines. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2015. № 8. pp. 57–60. (In Russ.).
6. Zaburdjaev V.S., Podobrazhin S.N., Rychkovskij V.M. Safety and efficiency of gas control diagrams in the coal mines. Bezopasnost truda v promyshlennosti = Occupational Safety in Industry. 2015. № 9. pp. 50–55. (In Russ.).
7. Instructions for the use of the ventilation diagrams of the excavation areas of mines with isolated methane drainage from the worked-out area with the help of gas suction units. 3-e izd., ispr. Ser. 05. Iss. 21. Moscow: ZAO NTTs PB, 2017. 124 p. (In Russ.).
8. Zaburdjaev V.S., Ruban A.D., Zaburdjaev G.S., Ustinov N.I., Ivanov B.M. Methodical basis for design of degassing at the existing and liquidated mines. Moscow: FGUP «NNTs GP — IGD im. A.A. Skochinskogo», 2002. 316 p. (In Russ.).
9. Rjabcev A.A., Nepeina E.S., Alkov V.I. Measurement of gas-bearing capacity of the coal seam from the mine workings. Ugol = Coal. 2016. № 1. pp. 68–70. (In Russ.).
10. Rules for conducting industrial safety expertise: Federal Norms and Rules in the Field of Industrial Safety. 4-e izd., ispr. Ser. 26. Iss. 12. Moscow: ZAO NTTs PB, 2018. 28 p. (In Russ.).
11. Instructions for coal mines degassing. 3-e izd., ispr. Ser. 05. Iss. 22. Moscow: ZAO NTTs PB, 2017. 240 p. (In Russ.).
12. Kozyreva E.N., Rjabcev A.A. A coal seam gas dynamic activity and its degasing application necessity. Vestnik nauchnogo centra po bezopasnosti rabot v ugolnoj promyshlennosti = Bulletin of the Scientific Center on Work Safety in the Coal Industry. 2018. № 1. pp. 8–13. (In Russ.).